PT4 - OSX and Bootcamp

A special forum dedicated to our PT4 for Mac OS X users

Moderators: WhiteRider, kraada, Flag_Hippo, morny, Moderators

PT4 - OSX and Bootcamp

Postby Herr_Someone » Sat May 03, 2014 1:33 pm

Hello

I've used a VM via OSX in order to play Fast Fold games, however, I now have a BootCamp partition to do this with as I had some resource issues before.

I would still like to play in OSX also, so could you recommend a way to access my database between both Windows and OSX? I'm thinking if I back up my database every time I want to switch OS, then import into which ever OS I'm using, that would achieve what I want.

Though if you could recommend a better way, or best practice, then that would be helpful.

Thanks.
Herr_Someone
 
Posts: 62
Joined: Sun Aug 14, 2011 12:40 pm

Re: PT4 - OSX and Bootcamp

Postby kraada » Sun May 04, 2014 9:06 am

If you're using bootcamp there's no way to access the same database from both operating systems. You could use the same database if you booted windows in a VM (by putting PostgreSQL on OS X) but I don't know whether that is something you want to do.
kraada
Moderator
 
Posts: 54430
Joined: Wed Mar 05, 2008 2:32 am
Location: NY

Re: PT4 - OSX and Bootcamp

Postby Herr_Someone » Sun May 04, 2014 9:50 am

No I understand that I cant do that. I used to use a VM but there was a resource issue, and due to some other reason, it makes sense for me to use a BootCamp partition from time to time.

What I would like to do is get a 'best practice' solution for getting hands to and from both databases. My only idea is to backup my OSX DB, import it into Windows, and then keep doing that to and from each OS to make sure each database is the same.

However if there is a better option than doing this, then I'd like to know about it.
Herr_Someone
 
Posts: 62
Joined: Sun Aug 14, 2011 12:40 pm

Re: PT4 - OSX and Bootcamp

Postby kraada » Sun May 04, 2014 9:59 am

Backup and restore is going to be easiest to get you started out and synced. After that, using something like Dropbox and reimporting the hands from session to session might be easiest. See this guide for details; it will work for your purposes.
kraada
Moderator
 
Posts: 54430
Joined: Wed Mar 05, 2008 2:32 am
Location: NY

Re: PT4 - OSX and Bootcamp

Postby Herr_Someone » Sun May 04, 2014 11:46 am

Thank you for that it is exactly what I need.

Could you just confirm something for me though? As far as I can see, the way to share the 'Processed' folder with Dropbox is to drag and drop into the Dropbox folder, then right-click share the folder.

This looks to physically move the 'Processed' folder, but I'm wondering if this is correct?
Herr_Someone
 
Posts: 62
Joined: Sun Aug 14, 2011 12:40 pm

Re: PT4 - OSX and Bootcamp

Postby Herr_Someone » Sun May 04, 2014 2:00 pm

I apologise for re-posting before a reply, but I'm being really thick here I think as I'm not getting my head around this.

I have a DropBox account into which I've copied and pasted both 'Processed' folders on my OSX and BootCamp partitions, and re-named them to differentiate from each other ('ProcessedWIN/MAC' respectively). I've shared them and entered my email address as prompted.

Say I then play on my Mac. Once I've finished I boot into Windows, open PT4 and click 'Get Hands From Disk' and browse to the DropBox folder. After an import, the database should be up to date.

Is this correct?

There's still the issue of how the processed folder on my computer syncs with the cloud processed folder? I'm unsure whether I should be copying and pasting, or physically moving the whole folder into DropBox.

It's annoying me that I'm just not getting this!
Herr_Someone
 
Posts: 62
Joined: Sun Aug 14, 2011 12:40 pm

Re: PT4 - OSX and Bootcamp

Postby Herr_Someone » Sun May 04, 2014 3:51 pm

Once again I apologise for what looks like my personal blog here :-) I think I now have it all working, but am running into some weird bugs.

First of all playing Zoom in Pokerstars - I have been testing by playing a few hands in Win7, logging out, logging into OSX, importing and checking etc. However PT is not calculating each session, but a cumulative time. So even though I played 2mins, then 10mins later I played another 3mins, it is saying I've played 15mins in total. What is the cause of this, and how can I fix it?

Not only that, but my processed hand history folder in DropBox has a couple of files from tables I appear to have played over 7 months ago. These should have already imported surely?
Herr_Someone
 
Posts: 62
Joined: Sun Aug 14, 2011 12:40 pm

Re: PT4 - OSX and Bootcamp

Postby kraada » Mon May 05, 2014 8:04 am

Original hand histories are imported and moved to Processed - that's how it works. Then they just sit there. In this case that's useful because you can import them from the other machine.

PT4 considers a session any time you have played hands within a certain time frame (I believe 30 minutes) -- so taking a 5 minute break is still considered part of the same session. This is not configurable.
kraada
Moderator
 
Posts: 54430
Joined: Wed Mar 05, 2008 2:32 am
Location: NY

Re: PT4 - OSX and Bootcamp

Postby Herr_Someone » Mon May 05, 2014 8:21 am

Right, the session time issue I had is solved - I didn't realise there was a 30 minute window. Thanks for that.

The hands already in the processed folder weren't there before. I checked that the folder was empty, but then they appeared under the folder for the day ('04-05'). The date of the files was nearly seven months ago, so they've appeared from somewhere. I'm almost 100% certain that they have already been processed.

The final issue that has arisen is seeing what looks like the overview for the last hand played at they table (only Zoom tables). So I get the overlay of the board and hole cards as if I was just in the hand, but of course I've just sat down.
Herr_Someone
 
Posts: 62
Joined: Sun Aug 14, 2011 12:40 pm

Re: PT4 - OSX and Bootcamp

Postby kraada » Mon May 05, 2014 9:29 am

The only thing I can think was that it was hanging out in one of your HH folders and just got moved. Either way it shouldn't be a problem for it to be there.

I'm not sure what your last issue is; could you describe it in a bit more detail for me?
kraada
Moderator
 
Posts: 54430
Joined: Wed Mar 05, 2008 2:32 am
Location: NY

Next

Return to PT4 for macOS

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests