Page 1 of 1

bring_in question

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 6:21 pm
by jockodundee
Is there a way to tell who is the bring_in from the database when the bring_in brings it in for the full amount?

Re: bring_in question

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 7:08 pm
by ptrack mike
There is no stat in PTS that shows this, but if the amount on the game_players table, bring_in column is greater than $0.00 then that player brought in the bring-in amount. You could look at that number to see when it is larger than the normal bring-in amount to see if it is the full amount.

Re: bring_in question

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 2:36 am
by jockodundee
This does not seem to be the case. When the bring_in brings it in for the full amount, the column bring_in has 0 in it for everyone at the table.

Re: bring_in question

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 8:05 am
by ptrack mike
What poker site are you playing? Some sites do not list the bring-in in the hand history unless it's the small bring-in amount, otherwise they treat it as just a bet. If there is still a question, post one of the hand histories and I'll tell you how it is treated by PTS.

Re: bring_in question

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 3:26 pm
by jockodundee
The site is PokerStars and I can see from the hand history that bringin is not mentioned when the bringin bets the full amount.

Still, I'm going to have to write additional code to figure out the bringin in order to run meaningful queries using PTS, so I would think you guys would have.

Re: bring_in question

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 3:57 pm
by ptrack mike
Code: Select all
The site is PokerStars and I can see from the hand history that bringin is not mentioned when the bringin bets the full amount.

While I admit I'm not a Stud expert, I think that a bring-in is only a bring-in if the amount is the small forced bet. Otherwise it's just considered to be a bet meaning the player would have bet that amount even if not forced to do anything.

Still, I'm going to have to write additional code to figure out the bringin in order to run meaningful queries using PTS, so I would think you guys would have.

You are the first person in over two years since PTS was released to mention that this is a desired stat. May I ask what exactly are you writing additional code to do?

Re: bring_in question

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 4:21 pm
by jockodundee
Not knowing who the bringin was in stud means you do not know the 3rd st position of any player in that hand. This would be somewhat equivalent to not knowing who the button and blinds are in holdem because the posted cutoff checked his option.

Of course, PTS doesnt store positions in any case and I have already had to write code that populates a table joining to game_players that has the position of every player relative to the bringin. However, I hadn't realized until now, (since the bringin brings it in for the full amount rarely), that I have to figure out the bringin itself by the upcards, instead of relying on PTS.

Re: bring_in question

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 4:23 pm
by jockodundee
You are the first person in over two years since PTS was released to mention that this is a desired stat. May I ask what exactly are you writing additional code to do?


Nobody does statistical analysis on stud like they do with holdem.

Re: bring_in question

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 5:43 pm
by ptrack mike
Nobody does statistical analysis on stud...

Well, you do apparently. :)

Good luck.