Page 1 of 4
can't restore DB

Posted:
Wed Mar 05, 2008 11:39 pm
by wsopstar2b
I use post whatever. I've backed up numerous times. When I try to restore I pick the file I had it save to & when I double click after browsing for it, it is looking for an exacutable file (pg_restore.exe), which doesn't exist that I know of. What the crap do I do?
Re: can't restore DB

Posted:
Thu Mar 06, 2008 10:29 am
by ptrack pat
What version of PostgreSQL are you using?
Re: can't restore DB

Posted:
Thu Mar 06, 2008 9:41 pm
by wsopstar2b
The newest one now. An older version when I backed up.
Re: can't restore DB

Posted:
Thu Mar 06, 2008 9:42 pm
by ptrack pat
8.3 then? You should be able to navigate to the c:\program files\postgresql\8.3\bin folder and the pg_restore.exe file should be there for you to select.
Re: can't restore DB

Posted:
Thu Mar 06, 2008 11:18 pm
by wsopstar2b
It's not there. 8.3 was a fresh install. Reformatted my computer.
Re: can't restore DB

Posted:
Fri Mar 07, 2008 12:12 am
by ptrack pat
Then where did you install PostgreSQL 8.3?? I gave you the folder where it would be if you used the default settings. Search for the file on your hard drive using the Windows Explorer search function.
Re: can't restore DB

Posted:
Fri Mar 07, 2008 12:26 am
by wsopstar2b
It's there. Now how do I get my backup file into PT2?
I go to the restore DB w/i post DB management, but the backup file won't take & neither does the restore.exe file
I cdouble clicked it & DOS window came up.
Re: can't restore DB

Posted:
Fri Mar 07, 2008 12:32 am
by ptrack pat
It's supposed to open a DOS window. Does it prompt you for a password?? If it does, then click the "IMPORTANT: If you are prompted for a password...." link at the bottom of the PostgreSQL Database Functions window and make the changes to the pg_hba.conf file like it details there before you do the restore.
Re: can't restore DB

Posted:
Fri Mar 07, 2008 12:43 am
by wsopstar2b
No ask 4 password
Now what do I do?
Re: can't restore DB

Posted:
Fri Mar 07, 2008 10:17 am
by ptrack pat
It just opens a blank DOS window and sits there, is that what you are saying?? You don't see it saying that it's restoring the tables?? If the backup file is large then some of the tables/indexes, the larger ones, take a long time to restore.
If it just sites there with a blank DOS window then I would recommend installing 8.2 instead of 8.3 because PT2 works just fine with 8.2