can't restore DB

Any support related posts should go here.

can't restore DB

Postby wsopstar2b » Wed Mar 05, 2008 11:39 pm

I use post whatever. I've backed up numerous times. When I try to restore I pick the file I had it save to & when I double click after browsing for it, it is looking for an exacutable file (pg_restore.exe), which doesn't exist that I know of. What the crap do I do?
wsopstar2b
 
Posts: 24
Joined: Wed Mar 05, 2008 11:34 pm

Re: can't restore DB

Postby ptrack pat » Thu Mar 06, 2008 10:29 am

What version of PostgreSQL are you using?
ptrack pat
 
Posts: 4841
Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2007 12:38 pm

Re: can't restore DB

Postby wsopstar2b » Thu Mar 06, 2008 9:41 pm

The newest one now. An older version when I backed up.
wsopstar2b
 
Posts: 24
Joined: Wed Mar 05, 2008 11:34 pm

Re: can't restore DB

Postby ptrack pat » Thu Mar 06, 2008 9:42 pm

8.3 then? You should be able to navigate to the c:\program files\postgresql\8.3\bin folder and the pg_restore.exe file should be there for you to select.
ptrack pat
 
Posts: 4841
Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2007 12:38 pm

Re: can't restore DB

Postby wsopstar2b » Thu Mar 06, 2008 11:18 pm

It's not there. 8.3 was a fresh install. Reformatted my computer.
wsopstar2b
 
Posts: 24
Joined: Wed Mar 05, 2008 11:34 pm

Re: can't restore DB

Postby ptrack pat » Fri Mar 07, 2008 12:12 am

Then where did you install PostgreSQL 8.3?? I gave you the folder where it would be if you used the default settings. Search for the file on your hard drive using the Windows Explorer search function.
ptrack pat
 
Posts: 4841
Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2007 12:38 pm

Re: can't restore DB

Postby wsopstar2b » Fri Mar 07, 2008 12:26 am

It's there. Now how do I get my backup file into PT2?
I go to the restore DB w/i post DB management, but the backup file won't take & neither does the restore.exe file
I cdouble clicked it & DOS window came up.
wsopstar2b
 
Posts: 24
Joined: Wed Mar 05, 2008 11:34 pm

Re: can't restore DB

Postby ptrack pat » Fri Mar 07, 2008 12:32 am

It's supposed to open a DOS window. Does it prompt you for a password?? If it does, then click the "IMPORTANT: If you are prompted for a password...." link at the bottom of the PostgreSQL Database Functions window and make the changes to the pg_hba.conf file like it details there before you do the restore.
ptrack pat
 
Posts: 4841
Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2007 12:38 pm

Re: can't restore DB

Postby wsopstar2b » Fri Mar 07, 2008 12:43 am

No ask 4 password
Now what do I do?
wsopstar2b
 
Posts: 24
Joined: Wed Mar 05, 2008 11:34 pm

Re: can't restore DB

Postby ptrack pat » Fri Mar 07, 2008 10:17 am

It just opens a blank DOS window and sits there, is that what you are saying?? You don't see it saying that it's restoring the tables?? If the backup file is large then some of the tables/indexes, the larger ones, take a long time to restore.

If it just sites there with a blank DOS window then I would recommend installing 8.2 instead of 8.3 because PT2 works just fine with 8.2
ptrack pat
 
Posts: 4841
Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2007 12:38 pm

Next

Return to PTH Support

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest