Rule of thumb: How long to cache?

General discussion of PokerAce Hud.

Moderator: Moderators

Rule of thumb: How long to cache?

Postby gsus » Mon Apr 28, 2008 5:51 pm

Hi!
I understand that the caching process can take a lot of time. But I was wondering whether it is possible to roughly estimate how long the update may take, depending on RAM and size of database.
Is there any rule of thumb, like "1 hour per 50MB and per 1GB RAM" ? It doesn't even have to be too exact.
Greetings, gsus

Another question: I started the caching process during PT2 was open. As you say, it is then very slow. But will it remain to cache with this slow speed even if I close PT2 ?
gsus
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Apr 28, 2008 5:43 pm

Re: Rule of thumb: How long to cache?

Postby kraada » Mon Apr 28, 2008 6:59 pm

It's been a while since I personally recreated my cache. With a database of several hundred thousand hands, I just opted to start the caching process before bed. By the time I got up in the morning it had finished.

The problem is that a lot of different things are going to influence how long the cache takes to create: how much RAM you have, how fast your CPU is, how much free HD space you have, how big the database is, so it would be difficult to create a rough rule of thumb beyond this: if your database is many hundreds of thousands of hands, start it in the evening and let it run overnight. By the next time you want to start up a session, it will most likely be complete.
kraada
Moderator
 
Posts: 54430
Joined: Wed Mar 05, 2008 2:32 am
Location: NY


Return to General

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests