Computer crashed.. now trying to move data to new drive

PostgreSQL is the database server used to store information. Do you have a question or are you having problem with PostgreSQL? If so, post them here.

Moderator: Moderators

Computer crashed.. now trying to move data to new drive

Postby mishamag » Sun Mar 08, 2009 1:35 am

Power went out a few times the other day and corrupted my registry making the drive unbootable. Rather than trying to repair it I just did a clean install on a new drive. Unfortunately, the last backup I did was a few months ago. The problem now is I can't figure-out how to move the postgresql data to the new installation of postgresql. I followed some links I found where somebody named bugsbunny had a fairly simple solution, but it didn't work for me.

If anybody has some ideas I'd appreciate it. Thanks!
mishamag
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Sun Mar 08, 2009 1:29 am

Re: Computer crashed.. now trying to move data to new drive

Postby kraada » Sun Mar 08, 2009 9:54 am

Copy all of the data in the C:\Program Files\PostgreSQl\8.3\Data\ directory, keep a copy of that aside that you don't touch. Stop PostgreSQL on the computer with the new drive, and take a second copy and overwrite the data directory, then attempt to restart PostgreSQL and if the data wasn't corrupted it should just come right up.
kraada
Moderator
 
Posts: 54430
Joined: Wed Mar 05, 2008 2:32 am
Location: NY

Re: Computer crashed.. now trying to move data to new drive

Postby mishamag » Sun Mar 08, 2009 1:35 pm

Thanks for the quick help.

I've just tried that again. I get the error: 101 - SQLSTATE = 08001, expected authentication request from server, but received

"this is most likely due to the fact that the database server is not running on this port." When i go into pgAdmin and try and connect to the server I get "Error connecting.....expected authentication....."

Ugggh.
mishamag
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Sun Mar 08, 2009 1:29 am

Re: Computer crashed.. now trying to move data to new drive

Postby mishamag » Sun Mar 08, 2009 3:02 pm

Ok....I'm now able to connect to the server.

When I go into PTO and open Database Functions there are no databases listed.
When I open PgAdmin and look at the databases listed there everything thing seems fine.

Ideas please. Thanks
mishamag
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Sun Mar 08, 2009 1:29 am

Re: Computer crashed.. now trying to move data to new drive

Postby mishamag » Sun Mar 08, 2009 7:35 pm

Ok, got it now.

Had to go into "maintain database names" and add it first.
mishamag
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Sun Mar 08, 2009 1:29 am

Re: Computer crashed.. now trying to move data to new drive

Postby kraada » Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:04 am

Yes, one note: you posted this in the PT3 section, not the PTO section. PostgreSQL works the same either way, but it might be good to note the forum you're posting in :)

Either way, I'm glad to hear you got things working properly.
kraada
Moderator
 
Posts: 54430
Joined: Wed Mar 05, 2008 2:32 am
Location: NY

Re: Computer crashed.. now trying to move data to new drive

Postby olel » Sat Mar 14, 2009 2:32 pm

As I am having a similar problem I'll use this thread.

I had to reinstall my windows and therefore my Poker Tracker. I used the same version 3.00.3 with PostgreSQL 8.3. Afterwards I stopped the postgresql service and copied my old data directory into the new one (after deleting all contents of the new one).
After that the service won't start any more. In the windows system log the error message "FATAL: unrecognized configuration parameter "redirect_stderr"" appears. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks in advance,
Ole
olel
 
Posts: 24
Joined: Sat Mar 14, 2009 2:28 pm

Re: Computer crashed.. now trying to move data to new drive

Postby kraada » Sun Mar 15, 2009 10:14 am

That's odd, that error shouldn't be coming up.

Click Start --> Programs --> PostgreSQL --> Edit postgresql.conf, and add a # sign in front of the line:
log_destination = 'stderr'

and set logging collector to be off, then stop and restart the PostgreSQL server and see if it works properly for you.
kraada
Moderator
 
Posts: 54430
Joined: Wed Mar 05, 2008 2:32 am
Location: NY


Return to PostgreSQL [Read Only]

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests