Page 1 of 2
Plans for PT3 working with UAC enabled

Posted:
Mon Oct 19, 2009 6:53 am
by PlayingAround
Hi,
I believe UAC has to be disabled for PT3 to function correctly, right? Will I be forced to turn off UAC in Windows 7 also? If this is the case, are there any plans to fix this behavoir? I mean in my opinion it is not really acceptable that I have to deactivate a security feature of my OS in order to use PT3. Any plans to change that?
Ciao
Lars
Re: Plans for PT3 working with UAC enabled

Posted:
Mon Oct 19, 2009 8:55 am
by kraada
The issue with UAC and PT3 is the HUD - PT3's HUD needs access to draw on the windows of other programs, otherwise you wouldn't be able to see it. There are other, more technical reasons, but that is the simplest way to explain the problem. With UAC enabled, it causes a lot of trouble for the PT3 HUD (and would cause the same problem for any other program with a HUD). Disabling UAC is not a large security risk, and it will need to be disabled for Windows 7 and PT3 as well as far as I know.
Re: Plans for PT3 working with UAC enabled

Posted:
Mon Oct 19, 2009 9:09 am
by PlayingAround
kraada wrote:The issue with UAC and PT3 is the HUD - PT3's HUD needs access to draw on the windows of other programs, otherwise you wouldn't be able to see it. There are other, more technical reasons, but that is the simplest way to explain the problem. With UAC enabled, it causes a lot of trouble for the PT3 HUD (and would cause the same problem for any other program with a HUD). Disabling UAC is not a large security risk, and it will need to be disabled for Windows 7 and PT3 as well as far as I know.
Disabling UAC is not a large security risk? :shock: Dosn't that allow any "user" (Virus etc.) to execute any program? Without asking for permission? Seems pretty large to me. ;) Why can't the HUD be configured so it is "allowed" to do what it needs to do? Isn't it possible to give admin rights to the program (with the Application Compatibility Toolkit for example)?
Re: Plans for PT3 working with UAC enabled

Posted:
Mon Oct 19, 2009 9:18 am
by kraada
Are you running multiple untrusted programs on your machine? You should not be doing that regardless of UAC being installed. There has been discussion that in Windows 7 it may be possible for viruses to in fact disable UAC invisibly to the user because of the way that Windows 7 was put together (
source,
second source). If that's truly the case, then it should be obvious that UAC is not a significant hindrance for malware of any kind.
Regardless of whether UAC is enabled or disabled you should not run programs from untrusted sources.
So long as you know what programs you are running, disabling UAC should not cause a problem.
Re: Plans for PT3 working with UAC enabled?

Posted:
Mon Oct 19, 2009 9:45 am
by PlayingAround
Okay, I guess I will have to accept that although not every pokerplayer is a pc-expert and you can't expect everybody to look out for themselves. That's why the UAC was implemented I believe.
I find the fact that you - the PT3 developers - don't seem to be working on a solution and instead just recommend turning a definite Security feature off, slightly disturbing. This coupled with the other problems PT3 is having (random crashes etc.) is really making it hard for me to "enjoy" using your software. :cry:
Re: Plans for PT3 working with UAC enabled

Posted:
Mon Oct 19, 2009 9:52 am
by WhiteRider
You don't have to leave UAC disabled (although it does make things easier) - you can set PT3 and your poker software to Run As Administrator every time instead.
PT3 needs to work in a way which Vista (and 7) don't like applications to work - i.e. to interact with other applications. It simply isn't possible for PT3 to work in that way.
Re: Plans for PT3 working with UAC enabled

Posted:
Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:14 am
by PlayingAround
WhiteRider wrote:You don't have to leave UAC disabled (although it does make things easier) - you can set PT3 and your poker software to Run As Administrator every time instead.
Ha, that sounds good. :) So if I configure PT3 and Postgre (HUD too?) to be run as Administrator I can turn on UAC? Is there a Tutorial on pokertracker.com on how to do this?
Re: Plans for PT3 working with UAC enabled

Posted:
Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:29 am
by kraada
This tutorial will explain it.
Re: Plans for PT3 working with UAC enabled

Posted:
Mon Oct 19, 2009 12:58 pm
by PlayingAround
Thank you.
Re: Plans for PT3 working with UAC enabled

Posted:
Sun Nov 01, 2009 12:32 pm
by tarix
PlayingAround wrote:I mean in my opinion it is not really acceptable that I have to deactivate a security feature of my OS in order to use PT3. Any plans to change that?
Both PokerTracker and the Hud are flagged to require administrator access. Also all of my Windows development machines have UAC enabled.
Once you have postgres installed and working you should be able to turn on UAC and run PokerTracker just fine.